Boy bands have been around a while, but what makes them even more unique is when the boys in the band are brothers. Who are some of the top bands of brothers?
1. The Jackson 5- The Jackson Brothers, Jackie, Tito, Jermaine, Marlon and of course Michael got their start in 1964. They performed together until 1989. The group was known for their R&B, soul, pop and later disco. This band of brothers was a pop-music phenomenon in the 70s bringing to popularity the idea of family bands. Some of their top songs were “ABC”, “I’ll Be There” and “Dancing Machine.” Not only was the band a success, but the brothers also served as the first black teen idols. In 1976 the band left their label Motown and were forced to change their name. At the time Jermaine was replaced with his younger brother Randy. Later, independent careers were launched from the group, primarily by Michael Jackson, who went on to be a huge success.
2. Menudo – This Puerto Rican teen band was formed in the 1970s initially with two groups of brothers. They included Ricky Melendez, Carlos Meledez, Oscar Melendez, Fernando Salaberry and Nefty Sallaberry. The band achieved great success during the 80s, becoming the most popular Latin American teen group of the era. Their album Quiero Ser launched the group into stardom. Members of the band began getting replaced as the years went on. The last original member Ricky Melendez was replaced in 1984 by Ricky Martin. Martin’s career began from the band as he later went on to be a huge independent success.
3. Hanson – Brothers Isaac Hanson, Jordan Hanson and Zac Hanson formed this group in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Their career hit a high in 1997 with the hit song “MMMBp” earning them three Grammy nominations. The three young boys sang a capella recording popular songs like “Rockin Robin” and even their own material. All three boys started their careers as pianists. Isaac later began playing the guitar and Zac the drums. Creating their own garage band, they recorded two independent albums in 1994 and 1996. The boys were signed by Mercury Records after performing at the Kansas State Fair.
4. The Jonas Brothers – Nick, Joe, and Kevin Jonas make up this American pop rock boy band. The Disney Channel helped bring this band to its early popularity. The boys also started in the Disney movie “Camp Rock.” The band has released four albums; It’s About Time, Jonas Brothers, A Little Bit Longer and Lines, Vines and Trying Times. In 2008 the group was nominated for the Best New Artist award at the 51st Grammy Awards. They have sold over eight million albums worldwide.
5. The Naked Brothers Band – The band consists of brothers Nat and Alex Wolff. The boys began singing in preschool with friends, calling themselves The Silver Boulders. Nat wrote his first song titled “Mama Don’t Let me Cry” at the age of five. Nat was inspired by his jazz pianist-composer father Michael Wolff and music by The Beatles. The band name was coined when the boys as toddlers used to jump out of the bathtub shouting, “We’re the naked brothers band.” The boys were part of a mock documentary, filming them as if they were huge like The Beatles. Film production took place in the family’s apartment in New York City – Nat was 9 and Alex was 6-and-a-half. The film’s notoriety got hem signed with Nickelodean who put together a TV series “The Naked Brothers Band: The Movie”.
The boys started their first national-tour around the country called Nat & Alex Wolff: Fully Clothed and On Tour, in 2008.
Boy bands most likely will be around for a long time and bands when the boys are related makes it even a more unique phenomena.
Jeff Bachmeier is owner of 977music.com, an online music and online radio station network providing live streaming Internet Radio channels with music from the 50’s thru Today. Users can also choose to create their own customized on demand playlist through their own social media profile. For more information please visit http://www.977music.com.boy bands, brothers, hanson, jonas brothers, menudo